Saturday, January 5, 2008

I think I can! I think I can!

So, after working (and working, and working) on the girls afghans, I needed a break. Something where I felt like I was making progress. One of my New Year's resolutions was to start tackling projects that I've always felt were "out of my league" or "out of my comfort zone". Afghans, socks, and eventually knitting up myself (and the girls) a sweater. So I'm sticking to my New Year's resolution and yesterday began my first ever sock.

A whole lot easier than what I thought and it hasn't at all been a boring knit for me. Just enough going on to keep my interest but not too much where I don't know what I'm doing.


Child's Rainbow Sock for L.

Well, all was going well, really well in fact. Picking up stitches, having the right number of stitches all together as well as on each needle, no ladders that you sometimes get with DPN's, etc.

L. with her WIP sock

L. even had fun trying on her sock and I was having fun (and feeling good) about the progress I made. After I got the girls down for bed, I went back to work on my sock. James popping in now and then as my "encouragement". "Good job honey!" "It looks great! Can't wait to see the finished sock!"

Heel flap and heel shaping completed

Picked up stitches

Then tragedy struck! Let's blame it on the fact that I was a.) tired and b.) didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't read the pattern as well. (Or just complete dumbness, which ever.) You see, in the pattern it states a certain number of stitches you should have after you pick up stitches and knit and shape the heel of the sock. Well, that number of stitches you should have is also the same number of rows you need to work after you are done shaping the heel and I sorda, kinda skipped that part for one reason or another. Maybe they should've said "after you are done shaping the heel DO NOT skip ahead and start shaping for the toe but knit for 2.5". Then I wouldn't have made my little goof. Yes, maybe that's how (my version) of the pattern should've read. And the funny thing is, I kept saying to myself "this isn't right but what do I know, I've never knit socks before".

Uh! That's not right!

But look at how nice my shaping is!

But look at that shaping

I showed James and he thought that it looked really nice. Even gave encouraging words such as "but honey, it's hard knitting socks." I couldn't let it go though. I had to fix it! So I frogged back to where I had to knit for the heel flap and began again.

Frogged back to the heel flap

To make myself feel better, I stayed up till 1:00a.m. working on this until I finally said "That's it! I'm going to bed!" This morning L. asked me if I got her sock done and I just chuckled. I showed her what I did manage to get done and she wanted to try it on.

Going at it again

Now that I know to knit for so many inches after I shape the heel, I'm going to work on it more today and then hopefull tomorrow get the second sock done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - I've messed up so many socks! But usually they can be fixed. Love your knitting, and your blog! How do you like that yarn?
-Carolyn (I saw you on Flickr)

Soulful Hues said...

good job not giving up. you'll feel so fulfilled when you're done!

i love the colors of the yarn!

Angie said...

~Carolyn~ Thank you so much for stopping by and complimenting my sock (and my blog). And I don't like the yarn, I LOVE the yarn. Doesn't split, easy to work with, and is soft.

~Soulful hues~
Thank you very much! I love the colors as well and now can't seem to find the Magic Stripe yarn in that colorway. I want to make myself a pair of socks out of this yarn but won't have enough once I'm done with my daughters socks.