Monday, August 6, 2007

Bias Tape, Ric Rac, and Flowers! OH MY!

*Sigh* You know that feeling you get when a project is FINALLY finished? Well, that's the feeling I have right now. Or the feeling of "I CAN'T go to bed until this is finished!!!!!!!"? Yes, well, that's another feeling I have.

I started this bag last night (cut and got the flap, pockets, handle, and stitched the pockets onto the bag) and between grocery shopping and visiting family today I didn't get to get back to it until after EVERYONE went to be which was around 11:30p.m. (Yes, we didn't get back from visiting family until around 10:30p.m. and then the girls wanted a snack and then had some "coloring-in" time.) So around midnight I finally got back to work on the bag and after taking pictures, and admiring my new creation I am getting around to posting and then it's off to bed I go.

I had purchased the fabric (both outer and lining) from JoAnn's about a month ago. I LOVE the vintage inspired print of the fabric that I just KNEW it had to be a bag. After finding the big yellow button (also from JoAnn's) it was definetly screaming at me "PLEEEAAAASE make me into a bag!!!!!!!!!!!" So that's what I did.

I added bias tape to the top of the outer pocket and on the edge of the handle. Accented it with some ric rac around the pocket and down the middle of the handle and then some baby ric rac around the flap. I am really pleased with how this bag turned out. I was going to add some ric rac to the top of it but was afraid that would put it to "over the edge". Both the outer and inner pockets are reinforced with a zig zag stitch at the top and then just straight stitched. To finish off the bag I just zig zag stitched around. I like using the zig zag stitch rather than a straight stitch for bags because of handles and flaps I think it gives it a little extra reinforcing rather than the straight stitch where you then have to back tack.

Well, there ya go. Another bag to my growing stash. I'm off to bed now! Hope everyone had a very enjoying weekend and has a nonstressful week ahead of them!

No comments: